Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Welcome To the South Lake Minnetonka Blog

Who am I, and why did I create this blog?

I'm a resident of the South Lake Minnetonka neighborhood. As is the case with most area residents, I've developed a deep connection to our area during the time I've lived here. I think it is important to be civically involved, but there are many different ways to do that. Some volunteer for the fire department, others run for city office, others join the Chamber or the Rotary. How do I want to contribute to the area? Well, I'm going to do two things. First, I want to have this blog in order to facilitate constructive discussion among residents. We have smart people and alot of thought leaders who can really contribute some great ideas. Second, I want to keep my yard looking good. I'm alot further along on the first one.

So why did I create this blog? I've seen alot of blogs out there that are highly partisan, very one-sided, and are essentially created to promote a special interest. I don't want this one to be like that. I want a place where residents can advance the thought of the area by contributing ideas that stand by themselves. I want all views to be represented... that is the only way we truly get somewhere.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me." -- Dudley Field Malone

4 comments:

  1. As the first to comment, I have to ask why you need to hide who you are if your blog is going to be fair and balanced.

    Are you
    A. A business owner
    B. An elected official
    C. A lakeshore property owner
    D. An Excelsior business owner

    If you're none of the above, why must you hide?

    And if you're going to plug your blog on othe websites, just be honest about the fact it's self promotion. There's nothing wrong with it.

    While I am suspicious of your motives, the concept of your blog has merit. Too bad I'll have to question the motives behind your every post if you choose to remain anonymous.

    For the record I'm nobody special, but if it's not important enough for you to disclose your identity, then it can't be that important for me to disclose mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can appreciate the fact that you question my motives. Most blogs are not truly independent, but I intend for this one to be.

    I guess the test of time will tell if I have an agenda or am simply interested in local civics. If you evaluate the thoughts on this blog one year from now, I'm convinced you'll believe it is truly impartial and meant to be for the public good.

    For now, my preference is to operate the blog anonymously and I have authorized anonymous posters to comment on all material here. I think that will get the most people contributing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why is "business owner" listed twice....that's funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's a nice idea to have a place to discuss South Lake Minnetonka issues.

    ReplyDelete