Sunday, October 28, 2007

Star Trib Comments on School Funding

The Strib devoted much of their Sunday Opinion page to school referenda and funding topics. While I'm guessing that anyone who reads this blog also reads our local papers, I thought I'd link to the columns just in case. They are interesting and provide additional context to an election year when about 1/3 of Minnesota districts are asking their residents for money.

The editorial was thought provoking for me. While I stand by my belief that funding at a local level is generally more efficient and accountable than pooling state or federal monies together and redistributing from afar, the Strib made a good point that funding by referendum is not very predictable or stable for the districts.

http://www.startribune.com/editorials/story/1510997.html
http://www.startribune.com/editorials/story/1510996.html

1 comment:

  1. Lest we forget. Education receives nearly 55% of the State budget. For the schools to continue to beg for more money is an abomination.

    ReplyDelete